Saturday, July 16, 2011

The hypothetical genie question.....what is it?

When my patients present to me with an exacerbation of their depression and anxiety, I often ask them this question in order to get some idea of the trigger.

I call it the "hypothetical genie question" or the "hypothetical magic wand question".

So I would ask them, "If I was a genie, and you have only one wish, what will it be?"

If their answer is something non specific like "I just want to be happy", then I would respond, "Well, this genie is pretty fussy, and he wants to know what exactly, do you want in order to make you happy."

Try to answer this question yourself and it will give you an insight into what is, your main issue at the moment, either consciously or subconsciously.

This can help you to focus your energy on problem solving the most important issue for you, at this point in time.

Until next time.

Dr Vin MBBS FRACGP

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.