Friday, June 24, 2011

Accidental Rewards........Positive Parenting Program

What is "accidental rewards"?

As parents, we all do this to some extent.  Accidental rewards is where we inadvertently give rewards for a child's "bad behaviour".  A typical example would be, during a shopping trip. The child wants something.  You said no.  He escalates and throws a tantrum.  You escalate, but eventually, you cave in to the child's demand by giving him what he/she wants.  Sounds familiar?

In essence, we are rewarding the child for his/her bad behaviour.  The trick is to give attention to the good behaviours and less attention to bad ones.  Sounds simple but not easy I know.  I can empathize with you as Iam one of those parents although Iam getting better through my "teachings".  Trust me, that teaching, is one of the best ways to learn.  So I would like to take this opportunity to thank all my patients who have taught me so much!

At this point, I just want to raise our awareness to the common pitfalls of parenting.  As this blog evolves, we will talk about other causes of children's bad behaviours, and more specifically at strategies on how to prevent and how to manage mishaviours in children.

For parents who can relate to the above, do not worry as we ALL do it.  The trick is through awareness, and some simple strategies, hopefully, we can minimize it.

Reference:
TripleP International-Positive Parenting Program

Dr Vin Family Doctor Australia
MBBS FRACGP

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.